A student shall be deemed missing when he or she is absent from the University for more than 24 hours without any known reason. All reports of missing students shall be directed to the Safety and Security Office which shall investigate each report and make a determination whether the student is missing in accordance with this policy. Only authorized campus officials and law enforcement officers in furtherance of a missing person investigation may have access to information in OASIS. If a missing student is under the age of 18 years of age, Safety and Security is required to notify the parent or guardian of the missing student not later than 24 hours after the determination by Safety and Security that the student is missing. Safety and Security will also notify the Tiffin City Police not later than 24 hours after it determines that the student is missing. The Dean of Student Affairs shall have the responsibility to make provisions of this policy and the procedures set forth below available to students.
- Any report of a missing student, from whatever source, should immediately be directed to University Security.
- When a student is reported missing, University Security shall:
- Initiate an investigation to determine the validity of the missing person report.
- Contact the Dean of Student Affairs.
- Make a determination as to the status of the missing student.
- Notify the emergency contact of the individual identified as the missing student within 24 hours of making a determination that the student is missing.
- If the missing student is under the age of 18, notify the student’s custodial parent or guardian as contained in the records of the University within 24 hours of the determination that the student is missing.
- Notify the Tiffin City Police within 24 hours after determining that the student is missing.
3. The Dean of Student Affairs notifies the Office of Residence Life and the President of the University.