First contact: Security
Designated Emergency Response Number: 419-448-2211
A tornado watch/severe weather watch means tornadoes are likely to develop. Employees are expected to be alert to changing weather situations and be prepared to take action if upgraded to a warning. A tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted in the immediate area. Employees/students are expected to take the following action:
- The city of Tiffin will activate sirens in the event of a tornado warning. If you receive notification of a tornado warning or see a tornado, move to the lowest level in an interior hallway of the building as quickly as possible.
- Stay away from windows and areas with a large expanse of glass.
- Avoid auditoriums, gymnasiums and other large rooms with free-span roofs.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS. DO NOT PANIC.
- If persons with disabilities cannot safely move to the lowest level, assist them to an interior hallway away from windows and areas with a large expanse of glass.
- Protect your head and face. If possible, get under a sturdy table or other structure.
- If possible, take a battery-powered radio with you to monitor news about the tornado.
- Stay in a safe area of the building until the warning is officially over.
- If a tornado causes significant property damage, injury, and/or loss of life, the Director of Security will contact the Emergency Operations Team members.