First Year FAQ's

When is Move-In Day?

Move-In Day is Friday, August 22, 2014. Check-in is in the Campus Center 2nd floor, near the Bookstore. This is the day that all first-time Heidelberg students (other than those who arrive early for athletics, choir, band, etc.) will move into their residence halls. Your housing assignment email (sent to your Heidelberg email account) will provide you information regarding your room assignment, roommate, and other resources that will help you get acclimated to Heidelberg University. Further information will be sent to your Heidelberg email account prior to your arrival with information on where to check-in before you move-in.

How do I find out who my Roommate is?

Students will complete a housing application, which will be used to place them with a roommate. Students will receive information regarding their room and roommate assignment mid-summer in their campus e-mail account. We suggest that you make contact with your roommate before moving in to coordinate large purchases.

What is in my room?

Your room will have the following items per person: a bed, mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser, closet or wardrobe, overhead light, blinds, and an ethernet connection for each resident's computer. There is also a connection for cable television, but you must provide your own coaxial cable. Local phone access will be available if a student requests service through CNIT.

What should I bring for my room?

Essential items to pack are as follows:

  • Identification (Driver's license, bank cards, etc.)
  • Prescription medications
  • Personal hygiene supplies
  • Linens (bath towels/wash cloths, comforter, blanket, extra-long twin sheets, mattress pad)
  • Laundry supplies (clothes hangers, detergent, fabric softener, hamper, basket or bags
  • Alarm clock
  • Pillow(s)
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Trash Can – Students are responsible for discarding personal trash in the outside dumpster
  • Shower caddy/bucket (Bath robe)
  • Office supplies (desk calendar, pens & pencils, desk lamp, scissors, stapler, tape, etc.)
  • Emergency Supplies Kit (Flashlight, bandaids, thermometer, etc.)
  • Telephone-local calls only

Non-essential items, but nice to have:

  • Computer and printer
  • Cell phone and charger
  • TV (& cable cord), game systems, DVD players
  • Radio/stereo (with headphones)
  • Refrigerator (4.1 cubic feet or smaller)
  • Microwave (1 cubic foot max)
  • Coffee Maker (auto-off required)
  • Iron with auto-shutoff & small ironing board (not provided in any of the residence hall/laundry areas)
  • UL Approved power strip (with circuit breaker) [one per resident in room]
  • Rain and snow gear
  • Playing cards/board games
  • Eating utensils
  • Flip-flops (for the shower)
  • Small electric fan (Window or floor)
  • Dry-erase board and markers for door
  • Blue painters tape or sticky tack to hang items on your door/wall without removing paint or leaving residue. (NO DUCT TAPE)
  • Air freshener

What should you leave at home?

You should NOT bring the following items with you:

  • Air conditioner
  • Candles or other flammable items
  • Extension cords (Non-UL Approved)
  • Pets (except non-carnivorous fish in a 10 gallon tank or less)
  • Electric space heater
  • Sun lamps
  • Potpourri burners
  • Incense/wax burners
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Outlet adapters (Cheater plugs)
  • Electrical Cooking Appliances (electric skillet, hot plate, percolator, grills including George Foreman, immersion heating devices, oil popcorn poppers, toaster/toaster oven) - Coffee pots with auto off capabilities are permitted.
  • Firearms or weapons (Martial Arts weapons, hunting weapons, air soft/pellet/paintball guns)

May I request a single and live by myself?

Heidelberg University has a very limited number of single rooms; therefore the Campus Life Office is unable to grant a single room to every student who requests one. The Campus Life also believes that having a roommate is an integral part of a student's academic and social success. When students are granted singles, priority is given to students who are upperclassmen and to those who have a disability or medical condition who require a private space.  Students may contact our office with questions regarding availability.

What if I need a Medical Accommodation?

Students with physical or psychological needs that require any special residential facilities or space should submit a request to the Disabilities Intervention Team (DIT) in the Owen Academic & Career Support Center by July 15th. Requests for special housing options made after July 15th may not be eligible for review. Some examples of Special Residential Needs include, but are not limited to, single rooms, air conditioning, elevator access or private bathrooms. There are several forms that must be completed by a licensed medical professional as components of any request to the DIT. Forms are available from the Owen Academic and Career Support Center in the Campus Center or online. Special accommodations will not be provided by Residence Life without approval from the DIT. All medical requests must be submitted by July 15th. Submitting a request does not guarantee the need can be met. Students must re-apply for special accommodations each academic year prior to July 15th.

How much is room and board (meal plan)?

Room and board information is available on the Business Office Website.

How do I choose a meal plan?

First-time students choose their meal plan on the housing application. This information is forwarded to our dining services provider (ARAMARK). If a first-time student needs to change meal plans prior to the first day of classes, they may contact Campus Life, who will communicate this change.

What are my meal plan options?

Heidelberg students may choose from three different meal plan options, which are all priced the same (See Business Office website for current pricing). These options are:

  • Prince Pride: Unlimited all-you-care-to-eat meals in Hoernemann dining hall
  • Berg Mix: 14 all-you-care-to-eat meals per week in Hoernemann, plus $200 Flex Dollars per semester
  • Social Lite: 10 all-you-care-to-eat meals per week in Hoernemann, plus $250 Flex Dollars per semester

Flex Dollars can be used to purchase meals at our other on-campus dining locations. The cost of your meal is deducted from your account at the time of purchase, using your student ID card. As an alternative to carrying additional cash, students on any plan may purchase additional BergBucks through ARAMARK, which work in a similar manner to Flex Dollars.

Do I have internet access in my room?

Each residence hall now has wi-fi access. In addition, each room is also equipped with cable and data access. Each room has one cable outlet, two data ports and one phone line (landline is not active unless request is made through CNIT). In order to log on to the Internet, you will need an Ethernet adapter in your computer. For more information on computer requirements visit our recommended systems page.

You may want to bring a coaxial cable to connect your television; the University does not supply these. Floor and common lounges also have cable service.

If I want to activate the phone/voice mail in my room, how do I do this?

If you want to have local phone access and/or voice mail in your room, please visit the CNIT website at this link: Voice Mailbox Activation. Phone lines will be inactive in each room unless the resident requests access through CNIT.

Do I need special linens for my bed?

Heidelberg mattresses are extra long or 80 inches. You can check out Heidelberg University’s extra–long linen program to purchase your linens, comforters, and towels to complete your room. For information about this program, please call toll-free 1-800-957-4338 or order online at On Campus Marketing is also on facebook at  Information will also be available during your orientation session.  

Will my room be carpeted?

Krieg and King West have carpeted rooms, while Brown, France, King East and Miller do not have carpet.

Can I bring a refrigerator?

You may bring a refrigerator (4.1 cubic ft or smaller). Heidelberg does not rent or sell refrigerators.

Where can I do laundry?

For the convenience of residence students, laundry facilities are located in the basement or common areas of the each building. All laundry fees are included in the room rental fee. Information regarding laundry services will be provided in August at the first floor meeting!

How Do I get mail?

You can by using a correct address on all your mail, catalogs, bills, packages, magazines, cards, and letters. To get all those care packages to you quicker use the following address and be sure your name is on the mailed item:        

    Student Name
    Berg Box Number (will be assigned during orientation)
    44 Greenfield Street
    Tiffin OH 44883


Tips for Move-In Day

  • Eat breakfast.
  • Take the stairs. (Some buildings have elevators, but the stairs are your fastest way to get through a building.)
  • Stay hydrated. (Water will be provided in the lobbies of each building.)
  • Utilize the help. (Students, faculty, and staff will be volunteering their day to help move you in.)
  • Pull up to the drop off location for your building, unload, and then move to your building’s designated parking location.
  • If you pack in crates, boxes, trunks, suitcases, etc., have Mom and Dad take them home at the end of the day. We do not provide storage space in the building for those items.

Who will be there to answer my questions?

Each building is staffed with an RC or Residence Coordinator. The RC is, generally, a graduate student working on their master's degree. Your RC will serve as a helpful resource within your building and on campus. An RA, or Resident Assistant, is an upper–class student living on your floor that has gone through extensive training to cope with issues that may affect college students. RA’s help facilitate community discussions and create a community conducive to learning.

Further questions?

Call the Residence Life Office at 419-448-2058 or email at