Disability Services Information

We want you to have a positive experience and to have the support needed to be successful here. We can best assist you by understanding any factors that could affect your college learning or adjustment.

Do you have special needs?

  • A learning disability that might require academic accommodations?
  • A physical impairment that could affect your ability to learn or get around the campus easily?
  • Medical or counseling needs?
  • Medication needs such as medications classified as C2 controlled substances, allergy injections, or maintenance medications for chronic medical conditions?

Disclosure of your disability is optional and voluntary, but it is the responsibility of the student with a disability to inform Heidelberg University and request an accommodation. It is very important to know that you will be requested to provide documentation only if you request services. You will only get services if you provide appropriate documentation and ask for services. Unlike high school getting services is at the initiation of the student. Heidelberg is not bound by your IEP.

In order to determine eligibility for services, Heidelberg University requires complete and current documentation of disability. Specific documentation guidelines and required forms are available here. The documentation must:

  • Clearly state the diagnosed disability or disabilities
  • Describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities
  • Be current, i.e., completed within the last 5 years for LD, last 6 months for psychiatric disabilities, or last 3 years for ADHD and all other disabilities. This requirement does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature.
  • Include complete educational, developmental, and medical history relevant to the disability for which testing accommodations are being requested.
  • Include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability.
  • Describe the specific accommodations requested
  • Adequately support each of the requested testing accommodation(s).
  • Be typed or printed on official letterhead and signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis. Please include information about license or certification and area of specialization.

The eligibility determination process is not a same day process. Once documentation is received, it will be reviewed in order of receipt; therefore, it is recommended that documentation be submitted well in advance of any accommodation related needs (e.g. exam accommodations and alternative media services).

Services available to all Heidelberg students include:

  • Help with time management
  • Study & test taking strategies
  • Group study sessions
  • Peer tutors
  • Writing assistance

For more information please contact the Stoner Health & Counseling Center at 419.448.2041 or Disability Services 419-448-2898.