Personal Computer Recommendations
About 85% of student-owned computers on campus run Windows, and about 15% run MAC OS X, with some Linux mixed in too. If you are bringing a personal computer to campus, please review our recommendations for MAC OS and Windows computers:
In addition, consider the following:
- Network capability (all residence hall rooms have a wired network port – 100 Mbps - for each resident. All academic buildings and some residence halls also offer WiFi service).
- 20-foot Category-5 network cable (available at the Bookstore and elsewhere.) This longer cable length allows for more flexible furniture arrangements.
- Consider purchasing an inexpensive inkjet printer for convenient in-room printing. The University provides measured B/W laser printing in all computer labs and Beeghly Library.
- Consider purchasing a surge suppressor to protect your computer and other electronics.
- Consider purchasing a laptop with wireless rather than desktop model if your budget permits it. This will save space in your room, simplify transportation to and from home, and give you flexibility to use your computer in more locations around the campus, including the many buildings where we offer wireless Internet access (WiFi).