Postdoctoral Analytical Chemist for the National Center for Water Quality Research
Heidelberg University, located in Tiffin, Ohio, is seeking qualified candidates for a two-year, potentially renewable postdoctoral position as an analytical chemist in the National Center for Water Quality Research (NCWQR). Information about the NCWQR can be found at www.heidelberg.edu/ncwqr. Heidelberg University offers a strong liberal arts curriculum and professional education programs with the mission of personal, intellectual, and professional development, leading to a life of purpose with distinction.
Heidelberg University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Affirmative Action Employer with a significant commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
In this position, the postdoctoral analytical chemist will
- Analyze and interpret NCWQR’s long-term data set on herbicides and insecticides, and produce oral presentations and peer-reviewed manuscripts based on the analyses and interpretations.
- Develop hands-on expertise in operation of NCWQR’s liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometer (LC-MS/MS), gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer (GC-MS), and high performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC), and personally conduct analyses of pesticides in environmental samples, especially water, collected as part of NCWQR research and monitoring efforts.
- Collaborate with NCWQR’s QA/QC officer in maintaining existing analytical and data management protocols and in developing analytical protocols for analysis of additional persistent organic pollutants (POPs).
- Develop a POP research program integrated with the existing Heidelberg Tributary Loading Program and other programs of the NCWQR. As such:
- Participate in developing potential research projects.
- Take the lead in writing and preparing collaborative research proposals related to the origin, fate and effects of POPs in the environment.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience and qualifications, including:
- Recent completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry, or other area of applied organic chemistry related to analysis of water, sediment and soil samples from freshwater rivers, wetlands and lakes.
- Extensive hands-on experience in analysis of environmental samples on LC-MS/MS, GC-MS, and HPLC and in maintenance of those instruments.
- Ability to be an effective member of a research team.
- Ability to communicate effectively to the scientific and lay communities through oral presentations, written technical reports and peer-reviewed journal articles.
In addition, the ideal candidate will model Heidelberg University’s core values of integrity, honesty, humility, transparency, respectfulness, diversity, caring, loyalty, and accountability in all work.
For consideration and to submit materials for consideration, complete the online application. Review of candidates will begin on August 8, 2014, and will continue until the position has been filled.
Heidelberg University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for all postings.