Consumer Information

Federal regulations require institutions that receive Title IV funding provide specific consumer information about Heidelberg University to prospective and currently enrolled students. Listed below is the information that Heidelberg is required to disclose and where additional information can be found. Additional information is also available in the Heidelberg University Catalog. Financial Aid Office staff members, located in University Hall, are available during normal business hours to assist you if you are unable to obtain the desired information.

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act

Information regarding the College’s commitment to provide equitable opportunities for men and women students may be requested in the Athletic Office. Heidelberg submits an annual report to the Department of Education as required for Title IV Financial Aid eligibility. The results of the report can be found on line at Heidelberg University is a member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III, and the Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC), and, as such abides by their policies and procedures. A student-athlete may receive financial aid through the established programs for all students at Heidelberg University. Athletic interest and ability is not considered in the formulation of a financial aid award.

The Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (commonly referred to as FERPA or the "Buckley Amendment") guarantees a student 1) access to his or her educational record, 2) the right to challenge the accuracy of the record, and 3) the right to limit release of information from the record. Additional information or questions can be directed to the Office of the Registrar.
Heidelberg 's policy can be found on the Registrar's site.

Student Right to Know

In compliance with Section 485 of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended by the Student Right-To-Know and Campus Security Act (P.L. 101-542) and the Higher Education Technical Amendments of 1991 (P.L. 102-26), Heidelberg annually publishes graduation rates. This information can be requested through the Office of Registrar or found online.

Campus Security Law

Heidelberg 's campus security report may be requested from the Office of Security. The Office of Post Secondary Education Campus Security Statistics Website. The Office of Residence Life annually publishes a guide to safety and security in the residence halls, on campus and in the surrounding area. It is made available to every student at orientation programs, mandatory residence hall meetings and on electronic student announcements. Students are encouraged to take security issues seriously.

Nondiscrimination Policy

Throughout our history, Heidelberg has been a nondiscriminatory institution. The President appoints an Affirmative Action Council representing the various groups of which the college is comprised. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any educational program or activity receiving federal assistance by way of grant, contract or loan. Title IV of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is similar in its prohibition of employment discrimination on the basis of sex, religion color or national origin. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities. Additional information for students can be obtained by contacting the Vice President for Student Affairs on the third floor of the Campus Center or by calling 419-448-2062.

Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act

Heidelberg has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the illicit use of drugs and the abuse of alcohol by students and employees. A Policy Handbook of Substance Abuse is published annually and distributed by the Dean of Student Affairs Office.

Voter Registration

Voter registration forms are available in the Business Office and Financial Aid Office in University Hall as well as in Beeghly Library.

Selective Service Registration

Male students who are 18 years old must be registered with selective service to receive federal aid. Registration forms are available at any post office or you may register online.

Financial Aid/Scholarship Fraud

Every year, millions of high school graduates seek creative ways to finance the rising costs of a college education. In the process, they sometimes fall prey to scholarship and financial aid scams. Congress has enacted the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act of 2000 (CSFPA). This CSFPA enhances protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud. It also charged the Department, working in conjunction with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), with implementing national awareness activities, including scholarship fraud awareness.

According to the FTC, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use these telltale lines:

  • The scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.
  • You can't get this information anywhere else.
  • I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.
  • We’ll do all the work.
  • The scholarship will cost some money.
  • "You’ve been selected by a 'nation foundation' to receive a scholarship" or "You’re a finalist," in a contest you never entered.


To file a complaint, or for free information, students or parents should call 1-877-382-4357.

Repaying Federal Student Loans

Information concerning the repayment of student loans is provided to students prior to graduating and upon withdrawal from the College through an "exit interview." These interviews can be completed on line or in person. Information that is provided at an exit interview includes, but is not limited to: consequences of default, importance of repayment, anticipated monthly repayment amount, review of repayment options, discussion of debt management strategies, review forbearance, deferment and cancellation options, information about NSLDS and the availability of the FSA Ombudsman’s office. The Ombudsman’s office is a resource for borrowers when other approaches to resolving student loan problems have failed. To reach the Ombudsman's office call 1-877-557-2575 or visit

To find out more about the terms and conditions under which you may receive deferments if you serve in the Peace Corps, under the Domestic Volunteer Service Act or as a volunteer for a tax-exempt organization, visit the federal student aid website.