Administrative and Financial Policies of Interest to the Faculty

4.1 Emergency and Closing Policies

4.1.1 Procedures for the Delay or Cancellation of Classes

Policies for delay and cancellation of classes, and campus weather policies will be distributed at the beginning of each academic year.

  1. When the Seneca County Sheriff's Department and the City of Tiffin Police Department declare the roads in Seneca County and the City of Tiffin impassable and motorists are advised to stay off the roads and highways, the Dean of Students, in collaboration with the Provost, and Vice President for Administration and Business Affairs, will determine whether classes should be delayed or cancelled for that day, and if offices will be closed. The decision will be made as early as possible in order to inform employees and students.
  2. All Arrowhead class closing decisions will be made by the Office of Academic Affairs, and the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. Decisions regarding graduate school classes on the Tiffin campus will be made by the Office of Academic Affairs.
  3. The Dean of Students and/or another identified University official will notify the Office of Communications and Marketing for the purpose of posting the weather emergency information on the University website. The Senior Student Affairs on-call person will send notification to all faculty and staff with the Emergency Notification System.

4.1.2 Delay of classes

If the decision is made to delay the opening, Monday, Wednesday and Friday classes will be scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. (8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. classes will be cancelled). Tuesday and Thursday classes will convene at 9:30 a.m.

4.1.3. Faculty Unable to Reach Campus

Unless classes are delayed or cancelled by the University, faculty members are expected to meet their classes. However, if a faculty member cannot safely travel to campus for class, the faculty member should do the following:

  1. Call 448-2216 and leave a message including the following information: Name, Department, and day when classes will not be held.
  2. Whenever possible, faculty should call with the message before 7:30 a.m. It is important that this information is available for commuters as early as possible.

This information will be transferred to a special voice mailbox that has been created for weather related information. By calling 448-2222 students will be able to learn which faculty members are not holding class prior to driving to campus or leaving the residence hall.

4.2 Keys and Special Physical Equipment

Keys to faculty offices and campus buildings are issued through Krammes Service Center. Faculty members may be issued entrance keys for appropriate buildings, office keys, classroom keys, and other keys relevant to their work. Faculty who leave the University are required to return their keys to Krammes Service Center in person. No faculty member is to have any University key duplicated for any reason. If necessary, additional keys can be obtained from Krammes Service Center.

The loss of keys must be reported promptly to Krammes Service Center. A replacement charge may be incurred for lost keys.

Special physical equipment may be available from Krammes Service Center.

4.3 Mail

The University Mail Room is located in the lower level of University Hall. All mail sent to a campus address will be received in the Mail Room, and distributed to faculty mailboxes. Outgoing mail may be sent to the Mail Room. The Mail Room staff can assist with large or bulk mailing, or the mailing of parcels and packages through the USPS. United Parcel Service (UPS) and Fedex packages may be sent through the University store located in the Campus Center.

4.4 Telephones

The University maintains its own telephone facilities in the form of a PBX (Private Branch eXchange) switch and an integrated voicemail system.

Faculty are granted access to a campus telephone and voice mailbox (protected by passcode) in their office. If faculty members share an office, multiple voice mailboxes will be provided. Faculty members may also access their voice mailbox from off-campus by calling the Message Center (419.448.2900).

Office telephones provide on-campus, local, and long distance service, with long distance charges billed to the department in which the faculty member has primary teaching responsibilities. On-campus extensions may be reached by 4-digit dialing; off-campus numbers may be reached by first dialing a "9."

Emergencies should be reported by dialing "9-911." The university telephone system provides location information (e.g. /building, street address, floor) for all direct-dial extensions to the appropriate local dispatch facility when 9-911 is dialed.

Assistance with the telephone and voicemail systems is available through the CNIT (Computer, Network, & Information Technology) department. General questions or requests for temporary telephone/voicemail service in other locations (e.g. classrooms, meeting rooms, etc.) may be made to the Administrative Assistant for CNIT, via the CNIT helpdesk at 419.448.2088, or online at

Technical questions or concerns about telephone and voicemail resources should be addressed to the Director of Information Technology.

4.5 Computer replacement and upgrades

Faculty are granted access to computer equipment and services, including Internet access. Email accounts are available to all faculty members. Internet access via university-owned equipment is available in faculty offices, public computer laboratories, and kiosk terminals located across campus. Portable equipment is available for limited loan periods via the Instructional Media Center. Use of the university’s computing and network facilities is in accordance with its Computer and Network Use and Electronic Information Publication policies. (

Faculty members will be provided with a university-owned personal computer and productivity software (e.g. email client, web browser, office suite, etc.) as standardized by the university. Computing hardware is replaced on a regular cycle, and standard software packages are upgraded on a regular basis.

Computing assistance is available in the university computer Center, and through the CNIT (Computer, Network & Information Technology) department. Faculty should contact the Manager of PC Operations for support of university hardware and software.

Requests for non-standard hardware and software for special academic needs, as well as requests for additional computing services, should be directed to the Director of CNIT, who will refer it to the University’s Technical Advisory Group (TAG). Requests regarding the electronic publication of official University information (e.g. electronic documents, web site, etc.) should be made to the Assistant Director of CNIT and/or the Office of University Relations and Marketing Communications, as appropriate. Questions about the University’s technology infrastructure, administrative data services, and campus-wide computing in general should be addressed to the Associate Director of CNIT.

Other requests or concerns about computing resources should be directed to the Associate Vice President for Information Resources.

4.6 Web site

The University website is located at

CNIT personnel serve to assist the development of department web content. Site uniformity and graphic identity are monitored by the webmaster. Faculty members are encouraged to be involved in the creative process and to help develop and maintain site content for their department(s). CNIT will provide technical assistance and serve as a conduit for content submission. Additional support is available for the development and hosting of course-related material.

4.7 Purchase Orders and Requisitions

Requests to purchase supplies, equipment, and services should be directed to Chair/Directors, who forward requests to the Office of the Provost. Requisitions and purchase orders must be signed by the Business Officer. No faculty member may sign a contract, including grants, with any outside vendor committing the University or its resources without the written approval of the Provost and the Vice President for Administration and Business Affairs.

4.8 Travel Policies

Travel expenses incurred while on university business, such as professional meetings, conferences, or teaching, may be reimbursed if the trip has been pre-approved and if receipts are submitted according to the following guidelines.

  1. Expenses for travel include but are not limited to mileage, transportation, parking fees, conference registration, room accommodations, and meals. Meals must be itemized. No alcohol will be reimbursed.
  2. Prior to professional conferences and meetings, a Pre-Conference Authorization form must be completed and signed by the Chair/Director and the appropriate Associate Dean of the University so that funds can be approved and encumbered.
  3. A Travel Expense Report must be completed and approved within three business days of return to campus.
  4. Mileage to Arrowhead campus will be reimbursed according to the approved rate per mile. Faculty may submit expenses once per term. Related expenses would include turnpike tolls.
  5. Travel for other meetings, field trips, or university business may also be covered. Faculty must complete a Travel Authorization form before departing and submit a Travel Expense Report upon return, approved by the Chair/Director and Associate Dean of the University.

4.9 Field trips

Field trips are encouraged as part of the educational experience of students and faculty. However, faculty members should plan trips to cause as little conflict as possible with other classes. The Provost’s office may assist with expenses on some field trips, but arrangements must be approved prior to the event. A Travel Expense Report must be filed upon return within three business days.

University approval forms and liability release forms are necessary for all Heidelberg study abroad programs and all required off campus programs which involve an overnight trip and/or unusual risks. Guidelines for study abroad and required off campus programs and forms can be found on Server Six.

To obtain information relating to student health insurance, emergency contacts, and other medical concerns, faculty members leading an off-campus trip should contact the Health Center.

4.10 Parking

Vehicles must be registered with Krammes Service Center and should be parked in designated lots. Registration requests can be completed through the campus web site, and permits picked up at the Business Office. There is no fee for faculty registration.