Hilton Head S.C. - March 13, 2011 – The Heidelberg University men’s tennis team, under the guidance of veteran head coach Jerry McDonald, opened up its spring trip with a 7-2 win over Westminster College. Heidelberg improves to 2-2 on the year, while the Titans fall to 0-4 on the season.
Heidelberg swept the doubles. Earning the first win of the day was the duo of junior Cliff Goetz (Oak Harbor, Ohio / Oak Harbor) and senior Bobby Lochotzki (Oak Harbor, Ohio / Oak Harbor) posting an 8-2 win. Junior Patrick Ryan Earl (Madison, Ohio / Madison) paired up with freshman Zachary Schwenning (Barberton, Ohio / Barberton) followed with an 8-1 win at second doubles. Rounding out the doubles winners were freshmen Dorion Kempf (Galion, Ohio / Galion) and Matthew McDivitt (Cortland, Ohio / Lakeview) scoring 8-6 at third doubles.
The Titans finally got on the board at first singles, which was countered by Goetz earning a 6-1, 6-3 win in the second single spot.
After a setback in the third single spot, the Berg ended the day with three-straight victories. Earl (6-0, 6-1), senior Dylan Booth (Westerville, Ohio / Central) (6-1, 6-0), and senior Miles Yetter (Dublin, Ohio / Dublin Jerome) (7-5, 6-2) posted victories.
Heidelberg 7, Westminster (Pa.) 2
1. Nathan Huber (WES) def. Bobby Lochotzski (HEID) 7-6, 5-7, 6-3
2. Cliff Goetz (HEID) def. Derek Fredrickson (WES) 6-1, 6-3
3. Drew Trifelos (WES) def. Zach Schwenning (HEID) 6-4, 6-7, 7-4
4. Ryan Earl (HEID) def. Sean Black (WES) 6-0, 6-1
5. Dylan Booth (HEID) def. Ryan Carr (WES) 6-1, 6-0
6. Miles Yetter (HEID) def. Brad Thomas (WES) 7-5, 6-3
1. Cliff Goetz /Bobby Lochotzski (HEID) def. Nathan Huber/Derek Fredrickson (WES) 8-2
2. Ryan Earl/Zach Schwenning (HEID) def. Brad Thomas/Ryan Carr (WES) 8-1
3. Matthew McDivitt/Dorion Kempf (HEID) def. Drew Trifelos/Sean Black (WES) 8-6