With Alumni Weekend recently concluded, the time for reflection on a glorious weekend is upon us. Alumni Weekend 2007 – with its theme Race Back to Heidelberg – offered something for everyone, from ceremonies and reunion celebrations to music and great food. But most importantly, more than 500 alumni returned to campus to reminisce about their Heidelberg days, reconnecting with each other and their Alma Mater.
Providing entertainment and kicking off the weekend celebration were The Mystics, a group of alumni from the late ’60s and early ’70s who reunited for the first time in 40 years and performed the R&B standards during their student days. On Saturday, the college dedicated The Bryenton Honors Center in recognition of a generous gift and ongoing support from alumni Gary and Barbara Bryenton. Always the highlight of Alumni Weekend, the Parade of Classes kicked off the Saturday luncheon during which the slate of 2007 Alumni Awards were presented.
The Class of 1957, who returned to campus in record numbers to celebrate the golden anniversary of their graduation from Heidelberg, set another record as well with their class gift to the college. Reunion classes gathered for dinner Saturday night. Alumni and friends of the college returned Sunday for the dedication ceremony of the Janet S. Dicke Gardens, a gift from friend, businessman and philanthropist James Dicke II.