In order to meet Germans outside the academic environment, all students are encouraged to participate in non-academic activities such as a sports club, choir, volunteer work, orchestra, cooking class, church or synagogue, after school program with children, etc.
The American Junior Year staff will help you find the activity that is right for you and will assist you in making the initial contact. Note that for people interested in service-learning or volunteering, AJY works closely with the Freiwilligenbörse, a local volunteering center.
In recent years, AJY students habe taken part in the following:
- Dance classes (from ballroom dancing to Salsa)
- Discussion Groups
- Music (assorted choirs, orchestras, bands, etc.)
- Sports (basketball, crew, fitness, lacrosse, rugby, soccer, swimming, etc.)
- Student ministries of numerous faiths
- Volunteering (nursery homes, schools, environmental conservation, etc.)