Degree to be earned: 
Major Academic Plan: 
Spanish 16-17

student in classIn view of the historical, social, economic, political, geographical, linguistic and cultural ties and relations of the United States with Spain and all the Spanish speaking countries in America, the study of the Spanish language and the Hispanic Culture in general has become a very desirable and indispensable asset for any American college student. The Spanish department at Heidelberg provides students a variety of opportunities to achieve proficiency in the language and acquire a deeper understanding of the Hispanic cultures and literatures.

Besides the course offerings at Heidelberg, students can spend a year, a semester or a summer studying at The Center for Cross-Cultural Study in Seville, Spain; Alicante, Spain; or Córdoba, Argentina. Three-week summer and semester-long courses are also offered at Cemanahuac in Cuernavaca, Mexico.

Major Courses

30 hours in Spanish beyond the introductory sequence (101-102), including the following:

  • SPA 290 - Study Abroad Preparation
  • SPA 489 - Spanish Portfolio
  • SPA 490 - Spanish Capstone
  • SPA 321 - Survey of Latin American Literature or SPA 325 Spanish Literature Survey
  • SPA 333 - Spanish Culture and Civilization or SPA 334 - Latin America Culture and Civilization
  • SPA 335 - Hispanic Literature for Children and Young People (required for Education majors only)

Students are required to spend one semester studying abroad at an approved site in Spain or Latin America.

Placement test: Students with previous training in Spanish who wish to continue the language at Heidelberg University should take the Spanish Placement test. The results of the test and consideration of the student’s previous training in Spanish will form the basis for placement at the appropriate level.

Provisional Teaching Licensure: The State of Ohio offers K-12 provisional teaching licensure in foreign languages. To qualify for this license, candidates must complete requirements prescribed by the Language Department and by the Education Department. Students should meet early in their first year with chairmen of both departments to obtain documents explaining the requirements and to ensure appropriate planning so that requirements, including the semester abroad, can be met in a timely fashion.

Credit by examination: Students who have completed three or more years of Spanish in high school may apply for credit by examination for courses beyond Spanish 101-102. Students must make arrangements with the Spanish faculty, complete the appropriate form at the Registrar’s Office and pay the prescribed fee at the Business Office. The results of the test should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office within the first four weeks of the semester in which the student is taking the next higher level course, therefore the application procedure should be completed as early as possible.