During the academic year, we broadcast live coverage of Heidelberg football, basketball, and baseball. All students from a variety of disciplines participate in WHEI. Our programming could be described as eclectic since there is no programming style dictated to our students. WHEI is operated under the guidance of the Communication and Theatre Arts department and is a member of the Intercollegiate Broadcasting Association.
Heidelberg has had its own radio station since 1958 when it was known as WHCR. From 1958 until 1973, the signal was only heard via carrier current in the dorms. During this time, the radio station was under the guidance of the Communication Department.
When WHEI received its license to broadcast at 88.9 FM at 10 watts of power in 1973, supervision of the operation was handed over to the office of student activities. That relationship was short lived. Supervision was once again assigned to the Communication Department in 1977 and WHEI has remained housed in Founders Hall under the guidance of the Communication Department since that time. Long time director of WHEI, Mr. Archie Thomas, retired from that position in 1982 when Dr. Gary Dickerson joined the Communication Department.
In the early 90's WHEI received a major facelift when its facilities were moved to the third floor of Founders, its wattage was increased to 100 and its vinyl albums were sold to make room for CD programming. The station has always operated with a free form programming format which allows the DJs to play whatever kind of music that appeals to them and their audiences. WHEI became fully automated in 2007-08 and currently streams its programming on line. In 2010, WHEI moved to the Media Communication Center, located by Krieg Hall. WHEI continues to operate as a non-commercial, educational station 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.