As the fall semester wound down, students prepared for finals and anticipated heading home for the holidays. They also found time to give back. Student groups and organizations devised ways to spread the holiday spirit throughout the community and beyond.
- The Residence Life and Learning Hall RA team held a Letters to Soldiers event for students to show their appreciation for our nation’s heroes.
- Berg Events Council organized a clothing donation for victims of Hurricane Sandy.
- Students in Free Enterprise collected food, toys and clothes for a local family who recently lost their home in an electrical fire.
- The Chemistry Club collected items for Toys for Tots.
- The Hypnotic Dance Crew raised money through a change collection to donate to the Red Cross.
- The Heidelberg track and field program purchased Christmas gifts for a family with a child battling spinal muscular atrophy
- The Excelsior fraternity and the Philalethean Society combined to host their annual Christmas party for Head Start children in the community.
Giving at Heidelberg didn’t stop with just the students. Many departments across campus held events. Financial Aid held a raffle to raise money and Institutional Advancement adopted a family through the Salvation Army.
These examples are only the surface of the Christmas spirit at Heidelberg.
Sometimes the holiday season becomes about cookies, decorations and finding the perfect bow for your present. Heidelberg University remembered that it is also about caring.